I love the hint of savory herbal flavors in summer drinks such as basil, rosemary and mint. I’ve spent this long winter/cold spring testing out different smoothie and drink recipes for fun. I love experimenting with fresh herbs, and mixing in different syrups and fruit purees.
I’ve finally settled on my signature summer mocktail and I’ll be serving it at this year’s Mother Day brunch. (Can you believe Mother’s Day is 2 WEEKS away?!) We’re keeping it small and simple this year and I’m responsible for wowing the crowd with my fun brunch-friendly mocktails.
This year I’m serving a Strawberry Orange Mint Mocktail…..a combination of Simply Orange Pulp Free Orange Juice, fresh lime, ginger ale, mint, rosemary and strawberry puree. The lime and berries combine for a drink that’s sweet, tart and citrusy. It’s definitely packed with flavor…..but this version gets extra points for using pureed summer berries and ginger which, when paired with the lime juice gives an extra spicy kick to pair down the sweetness. The perfect orange juice for this delicious drink is the key. I always turn to Simply Orange Pulp Free Orange Juice. I prefer 100% fruit juices that don’t use any additional sweeteners, so this brand is a staple for every recipe that requires OJ.
There’s room here to have so much fun with this recipe: It starts with a mix of OJ, lime, ginger ale, rosemary and mint and can be served as an Orange Mint Mocktail. But the real turn up is in the homemade strawberry puree. It adds a softness to the drink, and when paired with the fizzy ginger ale transforms the Orange Mint Mocktail into a sweet, 2-note delicious and fresh summer drink. (And I swear the puree took less than 3 minutes.)
Add this to your menu for Mother’s Day brunch…..The moms in your circle will thank you!
Strawberry Orange Mint Mocktail
For the Strawberry Puree
2 cups of strawberries, halved
Ginger to taste
- Wash and halve strawberries. Add to blender.
- Add ginger, orange and sugar.
- Blend with hand-held immersion blender (or any blender) until pureed and smooth.
For Your Drink:
2 cups orange juice
Juice from half a lime
6-8 leaves mint
1 tbsp agave
2 large springs of rosemary
½ cup ginger ale
- Stir orange juice, agave and freshly squeezed lime juice in a vessel until agave dissolves.
- Add mint leaves, rosemary sprigs and ice cubes. Let sit in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
- Prior to serving add strawberry puree and top with ginger ale.
- Chilling prior to serving is suggested so that the rosemary and mint flavors are extracted.
- To make the drink fizzy, add soda just before serving.
- Strawberry puree lasts for 3 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Check out the new Whole Foods downtown Brooklyn, 292 Ashland Place, to find Simply Pulp Free Orange Juice and all the other fresh herbs for the recipe! You can find me there at least twice a week. I’m so happy to finally have a resource for affordable fresh produce within walking distance. It’s the most organized, well-lit grocery store in Fort Greene! Find one near you. Click HERE to buy!
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimplyMothersDay #CollectiveBias